Rain Cloud in a Jar

How to make a Rain Cloud in a Jar

A jar or clear cups, shaving cream and food coloring might seem like random materials to have in a classroom, but alas, they are the norm.  The fact that I could grab these materials from my own room without a late night trip to Walmart is always a bonus.

COLLABORATE SCIENCE

Not only is the prep easy, but the experiment is simple enough for little ones to join in.  First, we walked through the experiment together in a group. This way, I was able to engage my learners with questions before, during and after the experiment.
After we did the experiment together, my little scientists learned how rain falls down from clouds. Then, I let them get some practice.  After writing the procedure in their science notebooks they were able to break up into groups and practice on their own.

HANDS ON SCIENCE

I love hearing how this simple science experiment is working in other classrooms and homes.  It is one thing for it to work with my learners, but to hear that others are enjoying the simple science fun makes it even better.

SCIENCE TOOLS

Another way I keep science simple is with my science notebook.  Not only are there specific science activities, but the general experiment and exploration pages always save the day when I am in a crunch.  I usually create a science chart based on my science notebook pages to complete together.  Then let my learners create their own using a printable for their notebook.
Materials
  • Clear jar 
  • Food coloring
  • Water
  • Shaving cream

Comments